Friday, November 10, 2017

Veterans Day 2017

Sidney William Schwartz
 






I’m proud of my dad, Sidney W. Schwartz, for his service in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He enlisted as Private First Class in March 1951 in New York City; he was living in Brooklyn at the time, newly married to my mom, Florence Gold Schwartz. He started out at Camp Edwards in Buzzards Bay, MA. Here he is with his buddies, __ Stein, Bob Stoutenburgh, Shelly Weiss, and Eddy Vath:
 
 

From January to September 1952, Florence accompanied Sidney while he was stationed at Ft Bliss, in El Paso, Texas.

On way to El Paso

 
Sidney separated from the Army as Technical Sergeant in December 1953 after completing his period of enlistment. He was stationed at Fort Cronkhite, at the Presidio of San Francisco, CA, at the time. Dad fell in love with San Francisco – I recall him singing (badly), “I left my heart in San Francisco.”
"Boys from New Jersey"...Battery B, 459th AAA Bn
 
According to his discharge papers, Sidney received a Good Conduct Medal and National Defense Service Ribbon.
 
My mom became involved in the Jewish War Veterans Ladies Auxiliary of the United States.
 











Sewn and quilted by Robin Thomas
 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment